I got in trouble when I was younger, can I get a pardon or expungement?

Yes, if you got in trouble when you were younger, Connecticut has an avenue to get a pardon or expungement. Connecticut provides three ways to help its residents move past their prior transgressions : 1) full pardon, 2) conditional pardon, and 3) Certificate of Employability.

Study after study demonstrates that crime is generally committed by the young. Having been young once, I know that my friends and I made some poor choices. We got lucky. Some did not. The pardon/expungement process is an opportunity for a person who has served his/her debt to Connecticut to no longer be haunted by their past as they seek to improve schooling and job prospects.

The Connecticut Board of Pardons and Parole has the details.  Lets look at each option:

Full Pardon

A full pardon is a complete erasure of your criminal record. You can apply three (3) years after disposition of your most recent misdemeanor conviction. If you have a Connecticut felony conviction you need to wait  five (5) years after the date of the most recent conviction.

Conditional Pardon

The Board can attach conditions that, once completed, will result in complete erasure.

Certificate of Employability

On occasion the Board will see fit to issue a Certificate of Employability instead of a pardon. Although, the criminal records are not erased, the Certificate makes it illegal to deny employment based on your criminal record alone.

Application for Pardon/Expungement

To apply for a pardon you must complete the extensive application available on the Connecticut Board of Pardons and Parole website.

The process can take a long time, up to two (2) years. You might have to appear to argue your case.

The Board considers:

  • the rehabilitation of the offender applicant;
  • the severity of the offense,
  • the impact on the victim and the victim’s input;
  • past criminal history;
  • how much time has passed since the commission of the most recent offense;
  • whether the public interest is served by erasing a criminal record;
  • The State’s Attorney’s opinion;
  • what the individual has accomplished since the most recent offense;
  • work history;
  • subsequent contact with the criminal justice system;
  • character references; and
  • community service.

If you need help applying for a pardon or expungement Sadler Law Group is here to help.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This